Simple Things You Can Do to Stop Smart Meters.
1. Call one elected state representative to voice your concerns; then request your objection to Smart Meters be added to to the “Database” that California has set up. (Right now, 11/17/11, there are over 5000 names on the data base protesting the installment of Smart Meters) If you are an Irvine/Tustin resident you can do this easily by calling Assemblyman Don Wagner’s office: 949-863-7070. This website will pull up contact info for your state representatives.
2. Contact your elected representatives via “The People’s Initiative” This is a very nifty tool, created by a Santa Monica based Smart Meter activist, as when you fill it out, it shows all your elected representatives (and their contacts) for your district and it contacts them on your behalf. It’s very easy.
3. EMFSafetyNetwork also has an automated form which goes to the CPUC. However, when I did this I did not get confirmation back from the CPUC. Their form is very easy to use, but just to be on safe side, I suggest filing on line with CPUC as described below.
4. File Complaint On Line with CPUC. Not so easy–but important to do.
They will ask for your “account” number. If you don’t know, you can call your utility company and get it.
Southern California Edison: 800-655-4555;
San Diego Gas and Electric: 800-411-7343;
Pacific Gas and Electric: 800-743-5000.
Also, while you have your utility on the line, ask them to please remove your Smart Meter and write down what they say as the CPUC form has a box for that, also. It doesn’t have to be fancy, and the CPUC limits the complaint to 200 characters, but you can easily attach a word document.
5. Help walk Flyers in your Neighborhood-or any neighborhood in OC. Contact this site or StopOCSmartMeters.org and we will help you make up your own flyers or you may pick up flyers or walk/distribute them with a group.
6. Any kind of writing: comments to articles, letters to the local paper. There seems to be a media black out on Smart Meters in OC, so we need to do this. Share on Facebook, etc.
7. This is another on line petition (easy to do) where you can send a letter to elected representatives, including Obama. The site has some good information about reputable scientists and their research.
We need to raise awareness first but not just be upset or concerned and do nothing with that. We need to “scream and yell” as Lloyd Morgan, Senior Science Fellow, Environmental Health Trust has said: “We are living in a time where there is a rush to all things wireless. It is a form of madness and until the public really raises up alarm and starts to yell and scream, nothing will change.”
Also remember this.